
No backstory to tell about this one - it's just that
"No More Drama" at the 2002 Grammys is the most electrifying live performance I have ever seen in my life. I remember watching it live on TV and physically shaking by the end. Damn, she earned that standing ovation. When she glances at the camera and growls "And I choooose to wi-i-
iiiiin" at the 1:50 mark, you can sense something coming over her, as if she's having an out-of-body experience and performing a self-exorcism in the process. She yells more than sings, but it
works, and by the end, you're gasping for air along with her.
Would that more R&B starlets take a cue from Blige, now that I'm thinking about it. Not just in the singing, but in the taking control of one's life. For all too many, fame spirals people out of their minds. Blige, in achieving the fame she'd (as she reminded us at the coda) worked so hard for, found hers.
2 comments:
I am not much of an R&B fan, but I really like her music. "Family Affair" is on regular pod rotation.
Glad the blog is back. :)
I'm glad it's back too. And "Family Affair" is considered by many to be the quintessential jam of the '00s.
Post a Comment