
If on Monday you have Friday on your mind, you need this. Never has a singer look so elated to be on stage - or maybe simply elated to be alive - as the Easybeats' lead singer Steven Wright does here on
"Friday on My Mind." The jangling rocker (with a class-conscious line railing against the rich man!) was the Australian band's only hit, and is the only song I've ever heard from them. I don't want to correct that - I could only be disappointed, as this power-pop precursor is one of the more perfect songs of its ilk, hardly capable of being improved upon. It certainly got my Monday off to a nice start.
PS: Favorite unexpected line: "Even my old man looks ... good."
1 comment:
They used to play this one on VH1's "My Generation", and it really stuck in my head (especially the generation-chasm-revealing line PA quoted). One of Australian rock's first excursions, way before Men At Work and Midnight Oil.
-D*
Post a Comment