Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lady Gaga, "Telephone"

Few artists today are as polarizing as Lady Gaga - you either absolutely adore her or are absolutely mystified by her overwhelming success over the past 18 months. I'm not on board with her - didn't she learn from Elton John and Madonna that costumes only go so far, that you have to have some lyrical meat on your glittery bones? - but I appreciate that she's affected a number of lives for the better.

Including, apparently, several among the U.S. military in Afghanistan: members of the 82nd Airborne made a video for Gaga's "Telephone" that's been setting the blogosphere abuzz. No dialogue about killing cows and making burgers (what does that line even mean?), just gyrations and choreography and three minutes of implorings to "stop talking."

I haven't yet decided, though, if it's preferable to the 10-minute Tarantino-inspired epic video Gaga and Beyonce did, though.

3 comments:

Mike Schaefer said...

OMFG the big beefy blond guy is HAWT. I feel faint.

And I'm a Gaga hata -- SO sick of gay men worshipping women who look like drag queens. An assortment of wigs does not an icon make.

Rebecca said...

I used to think that I had not heard any of her songs. Then I heard a commercial *for* her and realized that I had, I just thought all of them were by Gwen Stefani or someone like that when I did hear them. (This is what I get for listening mainly to stations that make you text them to find out what they're playing.) I don't actually know what she looks like.

My feelings for the most part are "meh." It's okay dance-pop if you like that sort of thing; in two years no one's going to remember them.

Mike Schaefer said...

@RJS: my thoughts exactly; and FWIW much of Gwen Sefani's recent output sounds like Madonna to me so it's more-of more-of-the-same.