Clearly there's more to her than that. She's certainly an impressive person, fearless and able to spot an open door in a labyrinth; but the more I learn of her, frankly, the less I like. As a rationalist I'm dismayed that she considers creationism on a par with evolution as theories go. As a feminist I'm appalled at her refusal to countenance abortion even in cases of rape. (Obama got this one right: we can disagree on the topic of abortion, but we can agree to work together in education and policy to minimize the need for them.) As a realist I'm stunned that while disavowing abortion she simultaneously specifically slashed funds from a program designed to help overly young mothers adapt to adult life with their children. And as an American I'm saddened by the concept she holds of the country she wants to help lead.
Palin's speech last night was light on promises and heavy on invective; she stretched facts and in cases outright lied - which one might expect from any politician, but she went further. Not content to simply critique the qualifications of her opposing candidates, she saw fit to critique entire groups of people, chief among them community organizers; and what I took from her speech is that she desires not to lead America, but to lead those Americans who share her values. As a liberal, as a homosexual, as a non-Christian, I simply do not exist in Sarah Palin's America.
So here's one for you, Governor: Devendra Banhart's "The Other Woman". As someone who wants America to be for all Americans, not merely the Christofascists, I trust history will put you back where it found you.

No comments:
Post a Comment