Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Glen Campbell, "Sing"

In theory I really love the new album from Glen Campbell, in which he's re-recorded 10 mostly modern-rock songs to introduce himself to a new generation of music listeners. Practice tells another story: His performance of Travis's "Sing" on Jimmy Kimmel Live! was a bad call. The song isn't terribly good to begin with - and I am a Travis fan - and Campbell doesn't bring anything new to its arrangement or give an especially effective delivery. Only capability, and that's not enough. Is it he who's missed the point here, or me? I'll check out the rest of the album and report back.

I hope I like it. Campbell has long been an underrated interpreter, and he was one of the very first musicians I knew by name as a child. (I remember my brother at age 4 doing an impersonation of him in his variety-show days: "Hi, I'm Glen Campbell, and I'm so happy I could drop a log!") "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Southern Nights" are among my earliest musical memories. But as regards the present material, I've been thinking that I'd much rather have heard him sing the Carpenters' "Sing." But not Annie Lennox's "Sing."

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I didn't know you liked Travis. "Flowers in the Window" is one of my own faves.