Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Funtime: Pop Argot Goes Strictly Instrumental

I haven't been terribly verbose this week, I know. Distracted with work. So continuing in that vein, here are some musical moments for which no words are necessary: 10 of Pop Argot's very favorite instrumental tracks. The riff-based three-minute instrumental is a lost art, and I honor those practitioners who did it well.

1. Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, "A Taste of Honey"
(Oh, hell, a bonus track: "Spanish Flea")
2. Paul Mauriat, "Love Is Blue"
3. Electric Indian, "Keem-O-Sabe"
4. Cliff Nobles & Co., "The Horse"
(Another bonus track: Didja know "The Horse" originally had lyrics and was to be released as "Love Is All Right"? The licks were just too hot, I guess. Nobles was the outfit's vocalist, giving him the dubious distinction of not appearing on his only Top 40 hit.)
5. Hot Tuna, "Water Song"
6. Booker T. & the MG's, "Hang 'em High"
7. Mason Williams, "Classical Gas"
8. Jefferson Airplane, "Embryonic Journey"
9. Incredible Bongo Band, "Apache"
10. Chuck Mangione, "Feels So Good"

Interested to hear others' favorites.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, the beginning of "Keem-O-Sabe" sounds like "Tusk". "K-O-S" is a real lost classic; not a big hit in NYC, despite the fact that "Keemosabe" was one of WABC DJ Dan Ingram's catch-phrases (some suspected the song was recorded specifically in the hopes of getting airplay on the station, but it barely dented their playlist).

Personal faves:

Young-Holt Unltd, "Soulful Strut" (another it-was-an-instrumental-AND-a-vocal instance)
Focus, "Sylvia" (their follow-up to "Hocus Pocus", it's utterly wonderful -- a flop in the US and huge everywhere else)
Herbie Hancock, "Rockit" (gotta love that video)

Anonymous said...

REM's "Endgame" will always have a very, very special place in my heart.

-D*

JKG said...

Great list, Pop. My dad had that Herb Alpert record, the cover of which held a certain fascination for me as a pre-teen boy.

Incidentally, I've never been able to get that much whipped cream together in one place, but various attempts have served to remind me of one important thing: it is, in fact, dairy based, and if not promptly cleaned up, it will eventually stink.

Sad. But true.

Pop Argot said...

Useless trivia about that cover: They used shaving cream.

Your public-service warning is an important one, and I thank you. Fortunately this is not a concern for me as I have a very rapid tongue.