Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Arcadia, "Election Day"

A long national nightmare finally approaches its close. Thank you in advance for doing your civic duty on Election Day.

I voted for Barack Obama.

I voted for Barack Obama because I believe in intelligent guidance. Because I believe in leaders who seek wise counsel yet who can also draw upon themselves for wisdom and courage. Because I believe that intellectualism is a virtue.

I voted for Barack Obama because he has been courageous in addressing head-on the complex issues of race and class. Because I believe that we're about to suffer some hard times - many of us are already - and the only way we'll get through them is if we look out for each other. Because I believe that America must be America for all Americans, not only those of privilege.

I voted for Barack Obama because I don't want to bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran.

I voted for Barack Obama because his is a future of green technologies, of energy independence, of renewed and restored relationships with nations that must be our allies if we are all to live together. I believe that I will be disappointed by my utopian thinking, but I believe Barack Obama's future is far more where I'd like to be for the next four or more years than John McCain's or Sarah Palin's future.

I voted for Barack Obama because I believe in the future.

I voted for Barack Obama because he values nuance, values careful consideration. Even on an area where I disagree vehemently with him - he's opposed to gay marriage - he has indicated a willingness to discuss the matter and perhaps be persuaded. This is not "flip-flopping"; this, I believe, is a facet of true leadership. I believe in leaders who listen, and listeners who lead.

I voted for Barack Obama because the Republican party has lost its way; its goals of small government and restrained spending have given way to the wants and demands of warmongers, theocrats, dominionists, ivory-tower-jailed knobs, chicken hawks, Christianists, money worshippers, and End Times harbingers, producing a concoction of greed and fear that is utterly uglifying to many of us citizens of the world who believe in peace and freedom.

I voted for Barack Obama because this land was made for you and me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well spoken, PA.

-D*

Sean said...

This was an awesome post, Joe. I was busy stumping for "No on 8," so I never got to sum up my feelings about why Obama was my choice -- but I couldn't have said it better than you did here.