Motown Records turned 50 this week. The Detroit-based label issued an astonishing number of the most successful and most memorable singles of the '60s and '70s, and though its impact has gradually waned over the years, it stands as one of popular music’s veritable landmarks.
Hitsville, U.S.A., lived up to its name, with over 50
Billboard #1 singles (and surely even more on the R&B charts, though I can’t confirm offhand), all benefiting from backing from the fabulous
Funk Brothers and vocals from an array of astonishing talents. Herein: 10 of Motown’s finest moments (and believe me, I could have chosen any of hundreds).
1. The Four Tops,
"Bernadette"2. Stevie Wonder,
"I Was Made to Love Her"3. Marvin Gaye,
"You"4. The Velvelettes,
"Needle in a Haystack"5. Jackson 5,
"Maybe Tomorrow"6. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles,
"If You Can Want"7. Eddie Kendricks,
"Keep On Truckin'"8. The Commodores,
"Sail On"9. Edwin Starr,
"War" (Ed. note: This one's for you, piss-ant president.)10. Diana Ross,
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough"
No comments:
Post a Comment