Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bea Arthur and Rock Hudson, "Sniff, Swig, Puff"

When I heard this weekend about the death of longtime comedic actress Bea Arthur, I figured I'd pay an obvious homage with Andrew Gold's "Thank You for Being a Friend," a Top 40 chart hit for him in 1978 that is of course far better known today as the Golden Girls theme song. But I liked Bea a lot better as Maude, really - her self-righteous sanctimony was just more flavorful in that role - and besides, a friend reminded me of a far better clip to share, one that shows Bea's singing talents, such as they were.

"Sniff, Swig, Puff" (at least, I'm assuming that's the name, based on the YouTube uploader's enthusiastic comments; else I'd have thought it was titled "Everybody Today Is Turning On") is something that needs to be seen and heard to be believed. It aired on a 1980 variety show, The Beatrice Arthur Special; if this deliciously snippy review is at all accurate, it was right up there with Pink Lady & Jeff as murderers of the variety-show TV genre. Bea and guest star Rock Hudson show an uncomfortable awareness of drug argot - not to mention of the sex trade; are they really making poppers jokes on national television in 1980? I guess Rock would know from amyl nitrate better than most. Whatever you make of it, pretend their brassy, braying harmonies actually harmonize, have a laugh ... and be glad I didn't upload something from Bea's equally misguided endeavour, the Star Wars Christmas special.

RIP, Bea. Thank you for being not just a friend, but a good sport.

No comments: