One day there was a discussion at rec.music.misc of songs that involve murders. "Hey Joe," "Down by the River," and the like. Thinking myself clever, I chimed in, "What about 'Pieces of April'?" (A moderate 1973 hit for Three Dog Night, most assuredly not about a murder, written by Dave Loggins, who would write for them the even prettier "Til the World Ends" before having his own hit with "Please Come to Boston.")
Someone far more clever immediately shot back: "Is that why there was a mourning in May?"
So here's to Usenet, here's to Three Dog Night and one of their underappreciated ballads, and here's to making it through a mostly chilly and partly pollenated April.

2 comments:
It's always nice to see a post about Three Dog Night, an underappreciated band from the 60s and 70s.
Perhaps they were TOO popular to be 'cool'. But they could sure sing.
And thanks to YouTube my three year old is now into into them, especially "Easy To Be Hard", "Eli's Coming" and "The Show Must Go On".
I could post about Three Dog Night every day and be happy. I've been championing them for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (not that I have a voice in such things) and had the pleasure of writing this AMG review about them: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wjfwxqqgldfe
Thanks for your note. Make sure your three-year-old hears "I'd Be So Happy" and "Old-Fashioned Love Song"! (The latter was a favorite of mine when I was that age.)
Post a Comment