Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wilco, "Any Major Dude Will Tell You"

Someone I know is presiding over the dissolution of a relationship this week. The relationship in all but name ended some months ago; the only difference is that now the separation will be physical as well.

I'm not an unbiased observer, and I don't know the whole story - which makes me the worst person to chime in, except to say that I considered posting for today's entry a number of kiss-off songs on my friend's behalf, motivated by a bitter need to pitch a snit: Teddy Pendergrass's "I Don't Love You Anymore" (nah, too vindictive); Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" (too melodramatic, and no Sugar Bear in the storyline); New York City's "I'm Doin' Fine Now" (close, but too many differences in the details). I considered "I'll Be Alright Without You," Journey's last good single, and an appropriate sentiment (but holy period hair, Batman!).

But instead of snapping at a third party second-hand and making a tough situation worse, I'll offer some words of consolation for someone who once sent me the same words when I underwent a rough patch years ago. "Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you, my friend / Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again." We undergo changes. Maybe we melt down, dissolve; but even if so, from that salt and water and our essence we rebuild. At least, that's the optimism I pull from Becker and Fagen's logic on one of their prettiest tracks. But since I assume you've heard the Steely Dan original plenty of times, let me give a spotlight to Wilco's gentle cover of "Any Major Dude Will Tell You." It appears, along with a number of other Dan covers of wildly varying quality, on the soundtrack to Me, Myself and Irene, a Farrelly Brothers comedy I've never been the least bit curious to see. But I bought the soundtrack, since it has the aforementioned Dan covers, and what else should it have but Hootie and the Fricking Blowfish doing a cover of one of my all-time favorite songs, and a true obscurity at that, "Can't Find the Time." But that's a story for another day.

1 comment:

Mike Schaefer said...

Very nice, but dammit, now I'm dying to hear Darius Rucker covering that Orpheus tune! (I can totally imagine it in my head) BTW, you can now get a used copy of the "MM&I" sndtk on Amazon for $1.23!