KFOG was one of my first cultural discoveries upon moving to SF in September 1996. A coworker suggested the station to me, and I was instantly hooked. Over the next few years Morey introduced me to a plethora of musicians whose catalogs were unfamiliar to me - not just obscurities, but hit artists who'd fallen out of radio fashion, like Barry White and War.
Morey's promised to continue recording 10 @ 10 shows during his retirement, which is indeed comforting to me, but still, it feels like losing a friend. Lest I get sentimental, here are some onetime Dave faves that subsequently became faves of mine as well.
Happy retirement, big guy.
1. Joni Mitchell, "Coyote"
2. Barry White, "I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More, Babe"
3. Squeeze, "Take Me I'm Yours"
4. Ramsey Lewis with Earth, Wind & Fire, "Sun Goddess"
5. Marvin Gaye, "You're a Wonderful One"
6. War, "Galaxy"
7. Stevie Wonder, "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing"
8. Les McCann & Eddie Harris, "Compared to What"
9. Four Tops, "Yesterday's Dreams"
10. Julie Driscoll with Brian Auger and Trinity, "This Wheel's on Fire"

No comments:
Post a Comment