Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday Funtime: Pop Argot Takes a Field Trip to Amoeba

Amoeba Music is the greatest record store in America. No discussion of the matter needs to be had. Over the years I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars there - some of the best money I've ever spent. Before the Internet streamlined my tastemaking and discovery procedures, it was Amoeba's vast stacks of used oldies compilations and fastidious maintenance of the works and side projects of the Jefferson Airplane/Starship that gave me so much of my musical education and appreciation.

In tribute and gratefulness, here's a sampling of what I picked up in my latest visit - this one, in the company of dear friends, which always makes shopping more fun.

1. Tanita Tikaram, "Twist in My Sobriety"
2. Michael Nesmith and the First National Band, "Joanne"
3. Jerry Reed, "Amos Moses"
4. Howard Jones, "Everlasting Love"
5. Stone Roses, "Love Spreads"
6. Social Distortion, "Ball and Chain"
7. Eric Carmen, "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again"
8. David Gray, "You're the World to Me"
9. Odyssey, "Native New Yorker"
10. Pet Shop Boys, "Go West"

No comments: