Monday, December 15, 2008

Jefferson Starship, "Miracles"

On this date in 1972, at 3:32 in the morning, I showed up for a few spins around this ol' karmic wheel on earth. Since then, I've always taken the day with considerable reverence. I disagree with the cultures that don't celebrate birthdays - I think it's healthy for everyone to have one day out of the year where they can be king of the hill, where they can be the center of attention and hear the joy of their life being celebrated.

So today's entry is purely a self-indulgence for me: my all-time favorite song, "Miracles" by the Jefferson Starship. I love the little details within the song - Marty Balin's cooing delivery, Grace's sharp and intricate fill-ins, the tight rhythm combo of Kantner, Chaquico, Freiberg, Sears, and Barbata, the chorus's subtle strings, even the dated language ("I picked up your vibe") - but there's something intangible about it that goes beyond what I can explain. "Miracles" just touches me to the core in a way few things do.

And I've been thinking it's a nice, hopeful thing to hear today as I revel in the kind words from so many people today and this past weekend, both in person and through the Intertubes. Thank you all.

ETA: Meant to add a special mention to David Freiberg's electric piano work on "Miracles" as a source of my love of the song. That pearly sound gets me every time (cf: my semi-illogical love of Rod Stewart's "You're in My Heart").

No comments: