Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Prince, "Sometimes It Snows in April"

I'm cribbing from two of my friends today. First, Mike, who responded to my quest for 1987 songs to blog about with a thoughtful list that included a few singles from Prince's magnum opus Sign 'O' the Times; then Jorge, who reminded me of another of Prince's works via an all-too-fitting quote on Facebook today.

"Sometimes It Snows in April" arrived a year earlier than my 1987 target. But I'm showcasing it today because (1) it did, in fact, snow on this April day in New York City; (2) it's a rare example of a Prince clip existing online - guess his copyright-control minions haven't come across it yet; and (3) it's a hell of a song. "Sometimes" may be the slowest song Prince ever recorded: some words are hard to say, so he takes his time. As a result it's possible (and compulsory) to pay close attention to every word he sings about a friend who's passed away. (His "only friend," at that - far from the only time he's said this of someone, which I find interesting.)

Prince closes, though, with a barely choked out line I refuse to agree with: "And love, it isn't love until it's past." True, you often don't know what you've got until it's gone - but then again, sometimes you do.

1 comment:

Mike Schaefer said...

Just lovely -- it's been a long time since I listened to that album. Thanks.